Traveling Solo


Well, as many of you know, I left the island of Patmos on Monday, May 14 to eventually get to the island of Lesvos. This time of year, the ferries do not run daily so I had a two day layover on the island of Samos. I felt the hand of God through my Greek taxi driver... and he somehow decided to tell me about one of the prettiest beaches on Samos where I was on Monday afternoon and all of Tuesday.

 The photos you saw were of my new friend Lena from Norway! She loved The Divine Spark. We had supper together on Tuesday night. She told me so much about Norway! And herself. She describes Norway as one of the more progressive European countries. And she sees that with an economy that is doing well, and with universal health care, there is a pro and con to this. The good thing is the security it brings. Lena had cancer and felt cared for by their health care. In fact, I met Noelle today from Holland and she has also had cancer and with her country health care helped her through her many months of cancer.

The other news is that it can be tempting to become rather materialistic when your country is doing well. So Lena counters this with her interest in social justice. She is a feminist and social justice advocate. She has a friend with a transgender child, so she understands how important it is to not judge, but to rather fully support.

I said goodbye to Lena, came to pack and get ready for a 4:00 am ferry from Samos to Lesvos and did not sleep very much. In the process, I had a taxi person pick me up at 3:00 am and forgot my cell phone in my hotel room. The great news is that this taxi driver had a relative on Patmos so I had his phone number.  The reason you see the picture of three Greek policemen is that at 3:15 a.m. I realized I left my cell phone in the hotel. I asked a policeman if he could call the taxi driver on his cell phone since I lost mine and he said yes! So my taxi driver went to hotel and got my cell phone. The second police man also agreed to call the hotel so that the night manager of hotel had my cell phone ready to hand off to taxi man. I still made my ferry in good time.

Two lessons: 
For all of you who get to the airport and to other places EARLY, you are so smart. By a crazy whim, I decided to get to the ferry terminal at 3:15 am, even tho my ferry did not leave until 4:00 am. Therefore, we had time to get my cell phone. 

Second lesson is: I can’t remember, but Hmmm. I think it might be to keep the phone numbers of your front desk hotel person AND keep the phone number of your taxi driver, as these people can really help you, and in my case, they were life savers.

Yay!!!