A New Perspective from Patmos


Today, when coming home from my run/walk, I tried once again to learn the short cut that takes me through the ancient village of Hora. I’ve been lost twice and the “short cut” became a long cut. Well, today, I found my way. But, ended up taking a long time with Yannis. He has lived on this island since age 7 and is now 37. He went to Crete for his university training but now lives on Patmos again. He and his wife have a new baby.

His job is taking money for people who want to visit the monastery in the center of Hora. So I found my way, but got lost in talking! Ha. No one was in line so he was happy to talk. I don’t know how it happened, but we ended up having a great conversation. He told me so much that I won’t be able to get it all to you now. I asked him if I could ask him a few questions about how families pass on the faith. He was happy to answer. In a nutshell, he said that his parents took him to church weekly. And they also listened to hymns on the radio. When he was about 12-13 years old he stopped going because church was “boring.” He said this with a sheepish smile. Then during college I asked him if he was into his faith and church, again the sheepish smile, said he was sort of more into drinking during college. Now, as a young father, tell me about how you want to raise your child. He said that for sure he and his wife want to raise their child in the faith. Of course. Will we see you at church on Sunday? Again, the sheepish smile. Well, I have this job here, so I am taking money for the monastery on Sundays but it is important. Great guy. 

 All for now, Love, Nancy

PS. How fun to learn from people just by talking.. His English was very good, which of course, I need!

On Patmos and families. Yannis graduated from Patmos high school in a class of 18. Fifteen of the 18 now have returned to live on Patmos and raise families. He told me of the main church and Robert and I will attend the Skala church on Sunday. Oh yes, I think that about 85% of my classmates families attended worship when I was growing up and I am only guessing that it is pretty high now too.

He feels faith is important and he also sees it is good that women are pastors. He loves the scripture There is therefore neither male or female, slave or free, Jew or Greek. He does not see why women can’t be equal in the church. When I asked him about being gay, he says he thinks everyone is equal before God and all are the same and always welcome. Faith, according to St. John, the big saint here on Patmos, is all about love and all about how we treat each other. We must see each other as family, brothers and sisters, everyone. Love everyone. That is what Yannis said.