Thoughts from Grand Marais, Michigan

Dear blog followers,

Robert and I are now in Grand Marais, Michigan for two weeks. The first photo you see is one of me doing a run/walk on the beach in front of the cabin we have rented. It was rather cold yesterday, as you can imagine since I have several layers of clothes on under the windbreaker jacket. I prefer cool weather over blistering hot, so yesterday was fun. Today started out much sunnier, but still cold, at 42 degrees, ha! Right now at about 5:30 pm we are reaching the high temp for the day, 47. By next week, it might get into the 70’s and all is good in my book. 


Robert and I are having quality time and the amazing thing I just noticed is that I do not have any work to-do’s on a to-do list. I have sent a few emails but do not feel any pressure to do any work related things… so that is a new feeling. Even when on Patmos, I did feel some to-do’s, but now, the need to do a certain thing is almost gone. 

I feel thankful, very thankful.

The Colorado Baker U.S. Supreme Court Decision (happened on Monday, June 4)

On the day we had the layover in Toronto, Canada, on our way to Greece, I watched some of a video from Soul Force. It was about legal ramifications if the Supreme Court votes in favor of the Colorado baker. Now, a few days after I am home from Greece, the Supreme Court made their decision in favor of the Colorado baker.

Some of you recall that on the ferry to Patmos, I met an attorney from Utah who was on his way home from a conference in Vienna, discussing how to find middle ground regarding “religious freedom.” Why would it not be OK for a baker to deny making a cake for a black person, but it is OK for a baker to deny making a cake for someone who is gay? Very quietly and kindly, the Utah lawyer told me that these two situations are different. Brene Brown would probably recommend that I "stay in the wilderness" and ask him more questions. We never had the opportunity.

Please join me in praying for God to help us know what to do next regarding equality vs. discrimination. I’m reading Richard Rohr’s book, A Spring Within Us. He writes about living life in the second half. He says as we age, we might start to notice that if we “attack things head-on,” sometimes this incites a lot of pushback from those we attack. In the wedding cake example, a tired method is to attack the religious right for being so narrow minded. If I act holier than thou, I usually end up holier than nobody, says Rohr.

So rather than name-call and attack, here is another approach: We can try to influence events, work for change, quietly persuade, pray and live out of forgiveness and grace. Come Holy Spirit Come, lead and guide us. Help us know when to be firm. Help us do what we can to teach our youngest children that some kids have two moms. Some kids have two dads. Help us celebrate your creative work. Help us see the diversity expressed through our unique sexualities and gender identities. Help us see that you created us all and you love all whom you have made. Come Holy Spirit Come. Lead and guide us. Show us what your will is. Amen.

Some of you may recall that my first two weeks of sabbatical included visiting three churches in the MPLS/ST PAUL area. Of the three churches I visited, two of them were led by pastors who were partnered with children. Pastor Brad and Pastor Jen are known in their synod for their pastoral leadership. I’d like to ask them for their advice on how to proceed in our country when there seems to be a leaning toward discrimination. OK, that is what I’ll do. 

 To be continued... 

 Love and prayers, Nancy